Judge who allowed FBI to search Washington Post reporter's home rips into Justice Department

A federal judge ripped into the Justice Department on Friday for failing to inform him of the applicability of a law intended to protect journalists from government searches and seizures when it asked him for permission to raid a Washington Post reporter's home earlier this year.

CNN The Washington Post headquarters  in Washington, DC, on February 4. - Aaron Schwartz/Reuters

"How could you miss it? How could you think it doesn't apply?" Magistrate Judge William Porter asked a DOJ lawyer during a hearing in Alexandria, Virginia.

"I find it hard to be that in any way this law did not apply," Porter added later.

The judge said during the hearing that he had declined to approve the warrant for materials from reporter Hannah Natanson several other times.

"I find it hard to be that in any way this law did not apply," Porter added later.

Justice Department attorney Christian Dibblee argued that the decision was made by department officials several rungs above him, but that he understood the judge's "frustration."

Porter shot back: "That's minimizing it!"

"Ms. Natanson has been deprived of basically her life's work," Porter said during the hearing, echoing comments from her lawyer that she's been unable to continue reporting and gathering confidential sources following the raid.

The Privacy Protection Act of 1980 is intended to protect journalists and newsrooms from government searches and seizures of a reporter's work product materials unless the reporter is themself the subject of a criminal investigation or prosecution.

CNN has previously reported that the Post reporter, Natanson, is not under investigation. But her communications with a government contractor who was charged with illegally leaking classified information are what led prosecutors to ask Porter to approve a search warrant for her Virginia home.

Last month, federal agents arrived at Natanson's home and seized a phone, two computers and a Garmin watch were seized. After Natanson and the Post sued in an effort to get the devices back, Porter temporarily blocked investigators from examining them.

Advertisement

Dibblee and DOJ attorney Gordon Kromberg tried to tell Porter on Friday that the department didn't believe the law was applicable in this case, with Dibblee at one point saying it's not the kind of "adverse authority" that lawyers are typically required to raise with a court when making requests for such warrants.

"You don't think you have an obligation to say that?" Porter said at one point. "I'm a little frustrated with how the process went down."

The alleged leaker,Aurelio Luis Perez-Lugones, pleaded not guilty late last month to five counts of unlawfully transmitting national defense information to Natanson through an encrypted messaging application and a single count of unlawfully retaining the defense information.

Press freedom advocates have raised alarm bells over the non-disclosure of the law, decrying the decision as a significant assault on key protections for newsrooms.

"The government appears to have ignored a crucial press freedom guardrail in searching a journalist's home and did not alert the magistrate judge to the law's application in this case, let alone show how or if it had complied with the statute's considerable protections," Gabe Rottman, the vice president of policy for the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, said earlier this month.

Porter is weighing a request from Natanson and the Post for him to order the government to return the seized devices and data back to them or set up a process through which the massive volume of information can be reviewed and the materials that relate to Perez-Lugones' can be separated from information that is not relevant to his case.

He appeared sympathetic to the reporter's argument that the government seized much more than it needed during its raid last month, but noted that in today's digital world, it's difficult to easily separate material that is responsive to a search warrant from material that is not.

"What's the government's need for all that information?" he asked at one point.

Dibblee quickly conceded "there is more information that was received than what was pursuant to the warrant," drawing a scoffing laugh from the judge.

Porter didn't appear ready to issue an order requiring the Justice Department to turn over all the devices, instead suggesting that the court could set up a "filter team" that would look through the data and determine what fit within the parameters of the search warrant and what may need to be returned to Natanson or shielded from the government's eyes

He said he would rule in the coming weeks.

For more CNN news and newsletters create an account atCNN.com

Judge who allowed FBI to search Washington Post reporter’s home rips into Justice Department

A federal judge ripped into the Justice Department on Friday for failing to inform him of the applicability of a law int...
KATSEYE's Manon Announces Hiatus from Group to Focus on Her 'Health and Wellbeing'

Gilbert Flores/Billboard via Getty

People Manon Bannerman of KATSEYE at the MTV Video Music Awards 2025 Gilbert Flores/Billboard via Getty

NEED TO KNOW

  • Manon Bannerman of KATSEYE will be taking a break from the group to focus on her "health and wellbeing"

  • The pop stars released a statement to social media saying the members of KATSEYE "fully support" her decision

  • During a November 2025 interview, the girl group said they'd received thousands of death threats

Manon Bannerman will be taking a step back from KATSEYE to dedicate time to herself and her wellbeing.

On Friday, Feb. 20, the six-member girl group who rose to fame following the Netflix competition seriesPop Star Academy: KATSEYE, announced that the 23-year-old would be going on an indefinite hiatus.

"Hello. After open and thoughtful conversations together, we are sharing that Manon will be taking a temporary hiatus from group activities to focus on her health and wellbeing,"a postto the group's X account began.

Manon of KATSEYE performs during the 2025 MTV Video Music Awards Kevin Mazur/Getty

Kevin Mazur/Getty

The group made it clear that they "fully support" her decision.

"KATSEYE remains committed to showing up for one another and for the fans who mean everything to us," the statement continued. "The group will continue scheduled activities during this time, and we look forward to being together again when the time is right."

"Thank you to our EYEKONS for your continued love, patience, and understanding," the post concluded.

In addition to Manon, KATSEYE consists of Daniela Avanzini, Lara Raj, Megan Skiendiel, Sophia Laforteza and Yoonchae.

Since the Netflix documentary series, which chronicled their group being put together, debuted in 2024, the ladies have had a wild ride to stardom.

In an interview with the BBC that aired in November 2025, the band revealed that the online commentary "can get really heavy," even going as far as them receiving"thousands" of death threats.

Advertisement

"No human is supposed to receive that much feedback on something that they've created, and so we're learning to do what we want, work as hard as we can, know that we just did something we love and try to stay off of that and not have that be our validation or the reason why we do what we do," Laforteza, 23, said.

KATSEYE performs onstage during the 68th GRAMMY Awards Kevin Mazur/Getty

Kevin Mazur/Getty

Bannerman agreed, adding that their families and friends had also been on the receiving end.

Despite the lows, the ladies have also had some record highs.

In January, the ladiesspoke exclusively to PEOPLEabout receiving their first two Grammy nominations for Best New Artist and Best Pop Duo/Group Performance at the 2026 Grammy Awards.

"When we found out, we were all in tears, screaming, crying," Raj, 20, told PEOPLE over the phone from Mexico City amid their sold-out Beautiful Chaos Tour while discussing their initial reaction.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE'sfree daily newsletterto stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer​​, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

The ladies also talked about their future with Bannerman telling PEOPLE they would love to collaborate with "Gabriela" co-writerCharli xcxagain.

"I just recently met her, and I think we all really hope to work with her more in the future," Bannerman said. "She's definitely a KATSEYE girlie, and we're in love withBratand everything about her. She's such an inspiration to us. We don't know what the future holds, but we're definitely, definitely super into that idea."

Read the original article onPeople

KATSEYE's Manon Announces Hiatus from Group to Focus on Her ‘Health and Wellbeing’

Gilbert Flores/Billboard via Getty NEED TO KNOW Manon Bannerman of KATSEYE will be taking a break from the ...
Brooks Nader

If there is one thingBrooks Naderdoes without fail, it is styling a dress to perfection. After a wild birthday weekend, which started with an emergency hospital visit and ended with a yacht party, the social media influencer is back to slaying. On February 18, she shared a photo of herself on Instagram Stories in a body-hugging dress.

Brooks Nader stuns in new picture

Here's a look at Brooks Nader posing in a fitted dress:

Brooks Nader

Brooks Nader turned heads in a stringy dress from Brazilian designer Andrea Almeida. Priced at approximately $3,567, theAlaia Dresshas a high halter neckline and an open back. The almost entirely sheer piece highlighted her toned figure as she posed against the backdrop of a cream-coloured staircase.

Advertisement

The "Love Thy Nader" star accessorised her outfit with a sparkling silver clutch, which matched the allure of her dress. She styled her blonde hair in voluminous waves with a side part. Her glam was soft and simple, with defined eyes and a nude lip. She tagged the brand's official page on her story.

Originally reported by Ankita Shaw onMandatory

The postBrooks Nader Caps Off Birthday Celebrations in Sleek, Fitted Dressappeared first onReality Tea.

Brooks Nader Caps Off Birthday Celebrations in Sleek, Fitted Dress

If there is one thingBrooks Naderdoes without fail, it is styling a dress to perfection. After a wild birthday weekend, which started with...
Bad Bunny positioned to consolidate his popularity in Brazil with first-ever performances

SAO PAULO (AP) — WhileBad Bunnyhas dominated global charts, the superstar has not had quite the same success inBrazil, a country notoriously hard for foreign stars to win over due to a devotion tonationalartists.

Associated Press

But a shift that began with hisGrammy-winningalbum "Debí Tirar Más Fotos" may accelerate further after his first-ever gigs in Brazil on Friday and Saturday in Sao Paulo.

Bad Bunny has come to Brazil at the peak of his career so far, following the phenomenal hype around his performance at theSuper Bowl halftime show.

"It's the best time to try and unlock a country like Brazil, at a time when he's managed to dominate practically the entire world," said Felipe Maia, an ethnomusicologist who is pursuing a doctoral degree on popular music and digital technologies at Paris Nanterre University.

For years, the Puerto Rican artist born Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio has been one of the most-streamed artists on the planet.

But neither the singer, nor his album, nor his songs were among the most played last year in Brazil, according to Spotify. The most streamed artists in the country on the platform in 2025 were all Brazilian.

In the land of samba, funk, bossa nova, choro, sertanejo, forro and pagode, among other Brazilian music genres, 75% of streaming consumption in Brazil focuses on national artists, according to the 2025 midyear music report of Luminate, a company specializing in entertainment industry data. Brazil is the country that most listens to its own music, it said.

Sold-out shows

Still, particularly since "Debí Tirar Más Fotos," the fever around Bad Bunny has made headway in Brazil. Only one performance was initially scheduled at the Allianz Parque arena, but it sold out so quickly the artist added an extra date, which also sold out.

By mid-afternoon on Friday, long queues had formed. Brazilian fans mixed with people from El Salvador, Colombia and Venezuela. Many came wearing straw hats — used by Bad Bunny and traditionally worn by jíbaros, rural Puerto Rican farmers.

Tickets on Ticketmaster, the official vendor, ranged from $50 to $210, but resellers on Friday were selling tickets for that same night for more than $830 — more than 2.5 times the minimum monthly wage in Brazil.

Flávia Durante, aSao Paulo-based DJ who specializes in Latin American music, said that some Brazilians have a tendency to see Spanish-language music as corny due to the association with Mexican telenovelas, but that Bad Bunny pierced a bubble with his latest album.

Advertisement

"Nowadays everyone knows all the songs, they sing along and really get into it. I normally play him at the peak of the night. People request him, even at rock or 80s pop themed parties," Durante said.

Since the half-time Super Bowl show, that popularity has grown. Bad Bunny's average streams grew by 426% on Spotify in Brazil in the following week compared with the previous one. Many songs experienced massive streaming surges, with "Yo Perreo Sola" leading the growth with a 2,536% increase.

'Latino resistance'

During Brazil'sCarnivalcelebrations, Bad Bunny themed costumes were a fixture in Rio'sraucous, dazzling street parties.

Nicole Froio, a Colombian Brazilian writer specializing in Latin American cultural issues, went kitted out in a straw hat and plastic, tropical plants that echo the background of his latest album. It was the third Carnival in which Froio — who has two Bad Bunny tattoos and a third one planned — wore attire that evoked the Puerto Rican artist.

For a long time, Froio was the sole person among her Brazilian friendship group who liked Bad Bunny. She believes that Brazilians in general have trouble identifying themselves as Latino.

"There's a lot of prejudice around Hispanic music and there were preconceptions against him because of his Puerto Rican accent, because people don't understand him," she said.

Brazil's Latino identity exists but it is diffuse and difficult to seize due to the variety within the continent-sized country, said Maia. But Bad Bunny succeeds in giving it emphasis, particularly in cosmopolitan cities such as Sao Paulo andRio de Janeiro, he said.

Brazil, like other countries in the Americas, was listed by Bad Bunny in the Super Bowl halftime show, when he reminded the world that while "America" is used as a synonym for the U.S. in the U.S., it is the name used across two continents.

Bad Bunny's global success, including in Brazil, "reinforces that we're part of this — that we belong," said 22-year-old Diogo da Luz, a longtime fan of the Puerto Rican ahead of Friday's concert. "He reinforces that we are one people and that we're very united."

For Froio, who has been waiting to see him live for six years and will see him on Saturday, Bad Bunny "represents a Latino resistance."

She pointed to the fact that other Latin American superstars, including Anitta, Shakira, and Ricky Martin, have recorded full songs in other languages, while Bad Bunny has kept his music almost entirely in Spanish.

"For me, there's a great authenticity in his sound that inspires me to be who I am and let everyone else deal with it," Froio said.

Bad Bunny positioned to consolidate his popularity in Brazil with first-ever performances

SAO PAULO (AP) — WhileBad Bunnyhas dominated global charts, the superstar has not had quite the same success inBrazil, a...
Elon Musk flipped a switch. Now, Russia is desperately sending men up towers to die

One technician climbing a tower. One FPV drone closing in. It sounds like a single tragic frame from an endless war. But it captures something larger: Russia's scramble to replace what Elon Musk took away.

Scripps News

Earlier this month,Ukraineappealed directly to Musk, asking him to disable Russian military access to SpaceX's Starlink internet system. The Russians had been running thousands of unauthorized terminals along the front — smuggled through Dubai and ex-Soviet republics, activated in countries where Starlink is legal, then shipped into the war zone.

With the flip of a switch, Musk complied.

The effect was immediate. Russian military bloggers began sounding the alarm, the message consistent across channels: there are no alternatives.

RELATED STORY |Ukraine hauls bombed train car into Kyiv to greet world leaders marking war's fourth anniversary

Russian forces, suddenly cut off, began improvising — setting up repeaters and relay stations to sustain drone video feeds and battlefield communications. And sending technicians up towers to do it.

Advertisement

Those technicians keep appearing in Ukrainian drone compilation videos as easy targets.

What makes this more than a communications setback is something few outside the conflict fully grasp. Unmanned ground vehicles (UGVs) are now coming to scale on both sides of this war. They haul ammunition and supplies into what soldiers call the kill zone, guided remotely by operators miles away. Starlink terminals mounted on board make that possible. Without Starlink, the robots stop. And soldiers go in instead.

RELATED STORY |Quiet dissent emerges in Ukraine as war with Russia drags on

The result, according to sources familiar with Russian battlefield operations, is that Russia is now losing even more soldiers than before — men replacing machines that no longer work.

Which feeds directly into Ukraine's current strategy: killing Russians faster than Putin can replace them.

The bandwidth war has a body count. And right now, Russia is losing it.

Elon Musk flipped a switch. Now, Russia is desperately sending men up towers to die

One technician climbing a tower. One FPV drone closing in. It sounds like a single tragic frame from an endless war. But...

 

GL MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com