Australia bans a citizen with alleged links to militant IS group from returning from Syria

Australia bans a citizen with alleged links to militant IS group from returning from Syria

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Australia's government on Wednesday banned anAustralian citizen with alleged ties to the militant Islamic State groupfrom returning from a detention camp in Syria.

Associated Press Family members of suspected Islamic State militants who are Australian nationals board a van heading to the airport in Damascus during the first repatriation operation of the year, at Roj Camp in eastern Syria, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. Thirty-four Australian citizens from 11 families departed the camp. (AP Photo/Baderkhan Ahmad) Family members of suspected Islamic State militants who are Australian nationals walk toward a van bound for the airport in Damascus during the first repatriation operation of the year at Roj Camp in eastern Syria, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. Thirty-four Australian citizens from 11 families departed the camp. (AP Photo/Baderkhan Ahmad)

Syria Australia IS Families

The Australian is among a group of 34 women and children who had planned to fly from Damascus to Australia on Monday but wereturned back by Syrian authoritiesto the Roj detention camp due to procedural problems.

FormerIslamic Statefighters from multiple countries, their wives and children have been detained in camps since the militant group lost control of its territory in Syria in 2019. Though defeated, the group still has sleeper cells that carry out deadly attacks in both Syria and Iraq.

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said one of the group had been assessed by Australian security agencies as meeting a risk threshold to be banned from entering the country, despite being a citizen. He did not identify that individual or say how long the ban would last.

"I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies," Burke said in a statement.

"At this stage, security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders," Burke added.

Advertisement

Burke has the power to use temporary exclusion orders to prevent high-risk citizens from returning to Australia for up to two years.

Australian governments have repatriated Australian women and children from Syrian detention camps on two occasions. Other Australians have also returned without government assistance.

Prime MinisterAnthony Albaneseon Wednesday reiterated his position announced a day earlier that his government would not help repatriate the latest group.

"These are people who chose to go overseas to align themselves with an ideology which is the caliphate, which is a brutal, reactionary ideology and that seeks to undermine and destroy our way of life," Albanese told reporters.

He was referring to the militants' capture of wide swaths of land more than a decade ago that stretched across Syria and Iraq, territory where IS established its so-called caliphate. Jihadis from foreign countries traveled to Syria at the time to join the IS. Over the years, they had families and raised children there.

"We are doing nothing to repatriate or to assist these people. I think it's unfortunate that children are caught up in this, that's not their decision, but it's the decision of their parents or their mother," Albanese added.

 

GL MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com